News

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 2 Stand Up 3 (belated)

Added by J. Simmons 12 days ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • Get access to mailing list account - done
    • BIZ-07: Submit paperwork to adjust ownership to the appropriate entities - done
    • DEV-23: Test Nodejs then Johnny-Five in chiptainer enviroment to determine if we want to use chiptainer approach - got the VU Meter example working by manually bootstrapping the Docker images
  • Will do
    • Tag v0.3.1 in SVN and update [[v0_3Documentation|v0.3 Documentation]] (SVN and DMSF)
    • DEV-23: Test Nodejs then Johnny-Five in chiptainer enviroment to determine if we want to use chiptainer approach - start updating the VU Meter example to use a Model B public registry for the Docker images
    • DEV-26: Determine wiring to power CHIP Pro from Feather/DEV-27: Determine wiring to provide I2C between CHIP Pro and Feather - start Circuit Maker tutorials in prep for documenting the feather related schematics
  • Blocked?
    • About to head out on almost two week business trip; will try to work on documentation during the trip

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • Drafted blog post about our decision to go with circuit maker instead of other tools for schematics
  • Will do
    • DEV-19: Add hot key for enable/disable of Holoseat to v0.3 Configuration App.. - look at adding hotkey code
    • DEV-25: Update Fritzing docs to migrate from CHIP to CHIP Pro (EagleCad?) - Continue documentation work
    • DEV-31: Send out note to fans asking for input about hotkey vs button for enable/disable - review Wordpress polling plugins to see if one is simple enough and setup poll
  • Blocked?
    • work travel through Friday (and recovering after)

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 2 Stand Up 2

Added by J. Simmons 21 days ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • Published blog post about Sprint 1 and 2
    • Get access to mailing list account - I found part of the required info
    • DEV-23: Test Nodejs then Johnny-Five in chiptainer enviroment to determine if we want to use chiptainer approach - got Docker running (and shared the news), but did not get the CHIPtainer examples running (the Docker files point to a private repo I cannot get an account for)
    • DEV-25: Update Fritzing docs to migrate from CHIP to CHIP Pro (EagleCad?) - created an account for Circuit Maker and reviewed the stub Holoseat project (added some content and reviewed what was there)
    • DEV-26: Determine wiring to power CHIP Pro from Feather - documented initial research
    • DEV-27: Determine wiring to provide I2C between CHIP Pro and Feather - documented initial research
    • BIZ-07: Submit paperwork to adjust ownership to the appropriate entities - met with Bryan and got the last internal paperwork signed
  • Will do
    • Get access to mailing list account - finish this
    • BIZ-07: Submit paperwork to adjust ownership to the appropriate entities - scan and file the last paperwork (then we can claim done)
    • DEV-23: Test Nodejs then Johnny-Five in chiptainer enviroment to determine if we want to use chiptainer approach - figure out how to get the CHIPtainer examples running without access to the NTC's private repo
    • DEV-26: Determine wiring to power CHIP Pro from Feather - solder pins onto Feather, CHIP Pro, and new bread board CAT5 jacks
  • Blocked?
    • DEV-23: Test Nodejs then Johnny-Five in chiptainer enviroment to determine if we want to use chiptainer approach - no response so far to the issue I reported about the CHIPtainer examples however, after reviewing the CHIPtainer docker files, I think I understand enough that I can make them work

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • DEV-25: Update Fritzing docs to migrate from CHIP to CHIP Pro (EagleCad?) - A bit more setup with Circuit Maker, put supplemental files for WINE install on private google drive folder.
  • Will do
    • DEV-25: Update Fritzing docs to migrate from CHIP to CHIP Pro (EagleCad?) - Continue documentation work
    • Write blog post about our decision to go with circuit maker instead of other tools for schematics
  • Blocked?
    • Travel for day job

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 2 Stand Up 1

Added by J. Simmons 29 days ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • Drafted blog post about Sprint 1 and 2
    • DEV-23: Test Nodejs then Johnny-Five in chiptainer environment to determine if we want to use chiptainer approach - finished research, ready to begin testing
  • Will do
    • Publish blog post about Sprint 1 and 2
    • Get access to mailing list account
    • DEV-23: Test Nodejs then Johnny-Five in chiptainer enviroment to determine if we want to use chiptainer approach - publish research and conduct first round of testing (get one of the Next Thing Computing examples running)
    • DEV-25: Update Fritzing docs to migrate from CHIP to CHIP Pro (EagleCad?) - create an account for Circuit Maker and start reviewing the stub Holoseat project
    • DEV-26: Determine wiring to power CHIP Pro from Feather - document initial research
    • DEV-27: Determine wiring to provide I2C between CHIP Pro and Feather - document initial research
    • BIZ-07: Submit paperwork to adjust ownership to the appropriate entities - meet with Bryan and get the last internal paperwork signed
  • Blocked?
    • not sure yet; feel like I am biting off more than I can finish; note, will be on travel next week

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • DEV-25: Update Fritzing docs to migrate from CHIP to CHIP Pro (EagleCad?) - investigated Fritzing, KiCad, EagleCad, and Altium Circuit Maker; EagleCad is too expensive, Fritzing doesn't have the libraries we need for anything but AdaFruit (plus it has an Arduino focus, so probably time to move on anyway; and saw several posts about people wishing they had moved on earlier due to how it outputs board designs), KiCad does not have the library support we need, and finally Circuit Maker is pretty good including libraries we need from Adafruit and Sparkfun (does not have CHIP Pro, but it can import Eagle files and there is an Eagle import tool) plus forums are active and responsive (two concerns: must be online to use it and it is Windows only, but there is a well documented procedure to get it to run on WINE) - note there is a license model for Circuit Maker for OSHW; bottom line suggests we move to Circuit Maker
    • J - let's got with Circuit Maker then
  • Will do
    • DEV-25: Update Fritzing docs to migrate from CHIP to CHIP Pro (EagleCad?) - continue working with Circuit Maker to get parts sorted out and an initial project for Holoseat
  • Blocked?
    • hand injury and have a work deadline this week

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 2 Plan

Added by J. Simmons about 1 month ago

We just wrapped up Sprint 1 (check out our Review and Retrospective) and are ready to start Sprint 2. This sprint will continue the development work from Sprint 1 and should see us lock in on the v0.4 architecture. Of special importance is implementing the HID keyboard functionality to connect the new CHIP Pro controller board to the gaming machine. The full details of the sprint are below.

Duration: 8 weeks
Stand Ups: Wednesday nights
Start: Apr 22, 2017
End: Jun 17, 2017

Backlog and Full Sprint Plan (see Backlog and Sprint 2 tabs)

Key Development PBIs
  • DEV-07: Test Keyboard USB HID over Arduino (by way of all of its decendent PBIs)
    • DEV-26: Determine wiring to power CHIP Pro from Feather
    • DEV-27: Determine wiring to provide I2C between CHIP Pro and Feather
    • DEV-28: Develop Feather code to be I2C slave
    • DEV-29: Develop Johnny-Five code for CHIP Pro to be I2C master
    • DEV-30: Test master to slave and slave to master events between Feather and CHIP Pro
  • DEV-23: Test Nodejs then Johnny-Five in chiptainer enviroment to determine if we want to use chiptainer approach
  • DEV-25: Update Fritzing docs to migrate from CHIP to CHIP Pro (EagleCad?)
  • DEV-19: Add hot key for enable/disable of Holoseat to v0.3 Configuration App for UX testing in prep to move controller down to the exercise equipment and remove separate sensor board
  • DEV-31: Send out note to fans asking for input about hotkey vs button for enable/disable
Pre-Sprint Commitments
  • J
    • Drafting blog post about Sprint 1 and 2
    • DEV-23: Test Nodejs then Johnny-Five in chiptainer enviroment to determine if we want to use chiptainer approach - start testing work and document what we know
  • Bryan
    • DEV-25: Update Fritzing docs to migrate from CHIP to CHIP Pro (EagleCad?) - research options to include CHIP Pro in electrical schematics (may include work on DEV-24)

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 1 Review and Retrospective

Added by J. Simmons about 1 month ago

Review

Claiming Done

  • BIZ-01 through BIZ-13 (except BIZ-07: Submit paperwork to adjust ownership to the appropriate entities), so we are good for another year in terms of BIZ maintenance
  • DEV-02: Determine if we should use a tone ring vs. existing single magnet design
  • DEV-03: Fix Bug #276 (Sensors are 5v logic feeding into 3.3v inputs on the controller)
  • DEV-11: Select BT Host module from CHIP's BT module or an external one
  • DEV-14: Develop outline for onboarding process
  • DEV-15: Port the controller side RJ-45 wiring from the v0.3 controller to the v0.4 controller
  • DEV-17: Port physical switch wiring from v0.3 to v0.4
  • CAMP-01: Review articles/information from Fred Hicks regarding kickstarter campaigns
  • CAMP-03: Review docs for new campaigns on Crowd Supply's website

Not Claiming Done

  • BIZ-07: Submit paperwork to adjust ownership to the appropriate entities - just missing final signatures on one of our internal documents, this will be done before we start the next sprint
  • DEV-06: Test Keyboard USB HID over USB-Gadget - turns out this is a lot harder than we wanted it to be and it is something people are still figuring out how to do on embedded systems like CHIP and Pi (so no ready to follow guides/tutorials)

Retrospective

What went well?

  • Planned very well this time, especially in terms of choosing the things for this sprint (we are set up well for the future)
  • Did a good job addressing all of the "not fun stuff" (aka BIZ tasks, scheduling recurring tasks, etc); things feel sustainable where the BIZ items are concerned
  • For the most part we paced ourselves well (only hit snags at the end of sprint when personal things came up)
  • Feel good about how we ran the sprint

What did not go well?

  • Did not complete the HID research: DEV-06/DEV-07 (HID over Arduino)
  • Behind on some documentation

What can we do better?

  • Stick to the meta-planning during sprints (we had a go/no-go point in time for HID Gadget and did not utilize it; note the HID over Arduino was the safe bet)
  • Should start with simpler solutions first (aka HID over Arduino) and then work on more complex solutions (aka HID Gadget) so you get the win; aka order of development work
  • Should favor more mature technologies when there are options; aka how we design architecture
  • Include PBIs to create appropriate required documentation
  • Count documentation as "done" when it is sufficient for someone else to repeat the process/results
  • Try out Mach 30's "Document before you act, as you act, and after you act" ground rules
  • Look at posting publicly available link to Discord Development channel to ensure all technical discussion is available online (we will create a PBI about this)

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 1 Stand Up 9 (belated and oops)

Added by J. Simmons about 1 month ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • none
  • Will do
    • n/a
  • Blocked?
    • n/a

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • DEV-06: Test Keyboard USB HID over USB-Gadget - finally understand how to get GadgetOS to build and installed on CHIP Pro, so can repeat on demand; still need to document that process (it is really just the documented process plus a couple of steps, will add to forum post on HIF Gadget research)
  • Will do
    • n/a
  • Blocked?
    • n/a

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 1 Stand Up 8

Added by J. Simmons about 1 month ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • BIZ-07: Submit paperwork to adjust ownership to the appropriate entities - updated internal operating agreement
    • BIZ-08: Create LLC documentation indicating how to add/adjust ownership - done
    • CAMP-01: Review articles/information from Fred Hicks regarding kickstarter campaigns / CAMP-03: Review docs for new campaigns on Crowd Supply's website - met with Bryan and wrote summary document of all campaign research to guide next steps (in google drive)
  • Will do
    • BIZ-07: Submit paperwork to adjust ownership to the appropriate entities - get fresh signatures
    • DEV-03: Fix Bug #276 (Sensors are 5v logic feeding into 3.3v inputs on the controller) - work with Bryan to capture results in the actual bug report and close the bug report
    • DEV-06: Test Keyboard USB HID over USB-Gadget - pair up with Bryan to try and push this to completion
  • Blocked?
    • DEV-15: Port the controller side RJ-45 wiring from the v0.3 controller to the v0.4 controller / DEV-17: Port physical switch wiring from v0.3 to v0.4 - update for CHIP Pro needs additional PBIs defined and done

Bryan's Report

Note, Bryan was unavailable this week due to family emergency. Updating based on conversations during the week

  • Did
    • CAMP-01: Review articles/information from Fred Hicks regarding kickstarter campaigns / CAMP-03: Review docs for new campaigns on Crowd Supply's website - met with J
  • Will do
    • No commitments at present
  • Blocked?
    • Family emergency

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 1 Stand Up 7 (1 comment)

Added by J. Simmons about 1 month ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • BIZ-06: Determine what paperwork must be filed to add an owner - done
    • DEV-06: Test Keyboard USB HID over USB-Gadget - researched GadgetOS and reported findings to Bryan
    • BIZ-07: Submit paperwork to adjust ownership to the appropriate entities - filed required update to biannual report with DC, need to update internal operating agreement and get fresh signatures
    • BIZ-08: Create LLC documentation indicating how to add/adjust ownership - started this documentation, need to add one more step about internal documentation updates
  • Will do
    • BIZ-07: Submit paperwork to adjust ownership to the appropriate entities - update internal operating agreement and get fresh signatures
    • BIZ-08: Create LLC documentation indicating how to add/adjust ownership - add one more step about internal documentation updates
    • CAMP-01: Review articles/information from Fred Hicks regarding kickstarter campaigns / CAMP-03: Review docs for new campaigns on Crowd Supply's website - organize meeting with Bryan to write summary document of all campaign research to guide next steps
    • DEV-15: Port the controller side RJ-45 wiring from the v0.3 controller to the v0.4 controller / DEV-17: Port physical switch wiring from v0.3 to v0.4 - previously claimed done using CHIP, not CHIP Pro (the pin outs are quite different); going to look at updating the Fritzing file with CHIP Pro pin out
  • Blocked?
    • none

Bryans's Report

  • Did
    • DEV-03: Fix Bug #276 (Sensors are 5v logic feeding into 3.3v inputs on the controller) - done (notes that there are complications with the CHIP Pro due to available voltage pins; future research will be needed)
      • J to coordinate with Bryan on closing out the bug
    • DEV-06: Test Keyboard USB HID over USB-Gadget - reviewed J's notes about GadgetOS
  • Will do
    • CAMP-01: Review articles/information from Fred Hicks regarding kickstarter campaigns / CAMP-03: Review docs for new campaigns on Crowd Supply's website - meet with J
    • DEV-06: Test Keyboard USB HID over USB-Gadget - going to test stock GadgetOS and if needed go back to compiling kernel (but using GadgetOS tool chain)
  • Blocked?
    • going to be traveling next week

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 1 Stand Up 6 (1 comment)

Added by J. Simmons about 1 month ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • DEV-14: Develop outline for on boarding process - met with Bryan Fri night; outline is in Google Drive
    • Document material from Make Magazine article about crowd funding - posted summary notes in Google Drive
    • Posted some architecture notes - Holoseat Firmware Microservices and Setting up CHIP environment easily and repeatedly
    • BIZ-06: Determine what paperwork must be filed to add an owner - reviewed content on DCRA website and did some googling, could not find the specific details we need; sent email to DCRA to see if they can help us, so far no response
    • CAMP-01: Review articles/information from Fred Hicks regarding kickstarter campaigns - reviewed Bryan's notes
  • Will do
    • BIZ-06: Determine what paperwork must be filed to add an owner - will call DCRA help line and do more searching
    • CAMP-01: Review articles/information from Fred Hicks regarding kickstarter campaigns / CAMP-03: Review docs for new campaigns on Crowd Supply's website - organize meeting with Bryan to write summary document of all campaign research to guide next steps
    • DEV-06: Test Keyboard USB HID over USB-Gadget - support Bryan however I can
  • Blocked?
    • BIZ-06: Determine what paperwork must be filed to add an owner - not having luck finding what we need

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • DEV-03: Fix Bug #276 (Sensors are 5v logic feeding into 3.3v inputs on the controller) - confirmed the pins to use and now have the multimeter
    • CAMP-01: Review articles/information from Fred Hicks regarding kickstarter campaigns - done, doc in Google Drive
    • DEV-06: Test Keyboard USB HID over USB-Gadget - got a kernel with HID Gadget built, but it was a build of the v4.3 of the kernel (4.3 does not support CHIP Pro); TL;DR - can now cross compile, so need to build the correct version of the kernel
  • Will do
    • DEV-03: Fix Bug #276 (Sensors are 5v logic feeding into 3.3v inputs on the controller) - wrap up testing
    • DEV-06: Test Keyboard USB HID over USB-Gadget - compile the right the kernel and start testing; also research GadgetOS for CHIP Pro
    • CAMP-01: Review articles/information from Fred Hicks regarding kickstarter campaigns / CAMP-03: Review docs for new campaigns on Crowd Supply's website - meet with J
  • Blocked?
    • Work just got busy again

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 1 Stand Up 5

Added by J. Simmons 2 months ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • BIZ-03: Generate required reports and confirm accuracy - done and filed
    • DEV-02: Determine if we should use a tone ring vs. existing single magnet design - done, see notes and recommendations
    • CAMP-03: Review docs for new campaigns on Crowd Supply's website - completed (notes in Google Drive), will mark done after discussing with Bryan
  • Will do
    • DEV-14: Develop outline for on boarding process - meeting with Bryan Fri night to knock this task out
    • Document material from Make Magazine article about crowd funding - read this article last week, will take some notes about it
    • Post some architecture notes I have been writing up to forums for public discussion
    • BIZ-06: Determine what paperwork must be filed to add an owner - will start researching this
  • Blocked?
    • Next week will be on travel again, so need to get things taken care of by Sun

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • DEV-06: Test Keyboard USB HID over USB-Gadget - Read more than half of the book on Docker.
    • CAMP-01: Review articles/information from Fred Hicks regarding kickstarter campaigns - Did some of this, but not much additional
    • DEV-03: Fix Bug #276 (Sensors are 5v logic feeding into 3.3v inputs on the controller) - Worked on setting up the electronics (pins 2 and 3 go to Vlow on the board then run to the sensor set. Ground should be routed through the board.) Still need a multi-meter
  • Will do
    • DEV-06: Test Keyboard USB HID over USB-Gadget - Will start looking at Docker USB-Gadget image I came across earlier
    • DEV-03: Fix Bug #276 (Sensors are 5v logic feeding into 3.3v inputs on the controller) - purchase multimeter
    • CAMP-01: Review articles/information from Fred Hicks regarding kickstarter campaigns - plan to finish reviewing/documenting Fred Hicks articles
  • Blocked?
    • DEV-03: Fix Bug #276 (Sensors are 5v logic feeding into 3.3v inputs on the controller) - Cannot proceed without a multi-meter

1 2 3 ... 7 Next ยป

Also available in: Atom