News

Holoseat: PY18 Sprint 1 Review and Retrospective (3 comments)

Added by J. Simmons about 1 year ago

Review

Claiming Done

  • V04-01: Get all testers signed up for the testing resources
  • V04-02: Go over testing resources with testers to confirm all questions or concerns are answered
  • V04-08: Keep meeting info updated on Meeting_Planning channel
  • V04-03: Get all testers to talk on Discord server
  • V04-10: Contact manufacturers to find a few tone rings that may work for us
  • V04-18: Test TRRS mini stereo jacks and cable to confirm ability to replace the network cable based system
  • V04-19: Select new button that should be a drop in replacement that is a through-pin design and screws on from outside of case (or not at all)
  • V04-20: Test new button to confirm it is a drop in replacement
  • V04-21: Decide what components we want to be on the wing
  • V04-42: Develop static mock up of app UI
  • V04-43: Demo pystray library
  • V04-44: Demo pywebview
  • V04-45: Demo flask app development
  • V04-46: Demo serial messaging library suitable for Serial Monitor
  • V04-53: Research how to leverage USB PID
  • V04-54: Follow instructions for registering USB PID with PID codes - http://pid.codes/howto/

Not Claiming Done

  • n/a (sprint was not completely planned)

Retrospective

What went well?

  • The hardware testing
  • Initial work on the new desktop app
  • Getting testers through initial on boarding
  • Got done about the right set of work at about the right time (especially considering we had no formal sprint plan)

What did not go well?

  • No formal sprint plan - What's a sprint plan?
  • Hit the resource bottleneck again because we did not leverage outside resources (direct result of not having a formal sprint plan)
  • The timing for annual planning and needing to get things rolling for the planning year was off
  • Missed some stand ups (old habit coming back to haunt us) due to travel and other outside blocks
  • Travel in general
  • While we got a couple of blog posts got up, the social media continued to stagnate (related to resource constraints)

What can we do better?

  • We need to address annual planning; everything else that did not go well stems from not completing annual planning
    • In the rush to try to have delivery of alpha units by end of year, we cut annual planning short; last planning cycle took 3-4 weeks for planning
    • Need to determine correct annual cadence for planning years running SyndCon to SyndCon
    • Let's lay out the assumptions for our planning year
      • Year runs Sept to Aug
      • Aug is just for SyndCon and recovery from SyndCon
      • Planning year is broken into thirds which are ~2 sprints long each
      • Sept is dedicated to planning (no development)
    • Annual Cadence
      • Third 1
        • Sep: Planning
        • Oct - Nov: Sprint 1
        • Dec: Basically off (any development is out of cycle)
      • Third 2
        • Jan - Feb: Sprint 2
        • Mar - Apr: Sprint 3
      • Third 3
        • May - Jun: Sprint 4
        • Jul - Aug: Sprint 5 (runs short to meet deadline for SyndCon; it is always dedicated to convention prep)
  • We need to discuss how to apply this cadence through the end of calendar year 2017

Holoseat: PY18 Sprint 1 Stand Up 7 (21 comments)

Added by J. Simmons about 1 year ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • Backlog grooming
    • Laid out the app source code structure in svn
    • Started to re-implement UI layout (running in Flask) - have NavBar done, GUI init code setup for running GUI in its own thread, have empty pages ready for all key functions, have command for posting the GUI URL so users can load GUI up on their phones/tablets if they want
    • Continued multi-threading in Python training
    • Replied back to 6' - no response
    • Replied back to DC Biz Dev Center - no response
    • Researched USB PIDs - see wiki
    • Secured 0xB058 (reference to Model B and our OSHWA cert # US000058) as PID for Holoseat
  • Will do
    • n/a
  • Blocked?
    • no

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • Backlog grooming
    • Tested bread board build with a tone ring - it worked great!
    • Followed up with Star - no response
    • Ordered updated pins
    • Worked volunteer on updates to tone ring for injection molding/manufacturing in general
  • Will do
    • n/a
  • Blocked?
    • no

Holoseat: PY18 Sprint 1 Stand Up 6 (1 comment)

Added by J. Simmons about 1 year ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • Reviewed schematics updates for Bryan
    • Training on Bootstrap for visual layout of app, Python Requests for interaction between GUI and REST API, and started training in multi-threading in Python
    • Developed color scheme for the app UI
  • Will do
    • Backlog grooming
    • Lay out the app source code structure in svn
    • Re-implement UI layout (running in Flask)
    • Continue multi-threading in Python training
    • Reply back to 6' (turn of the year is fine/discuss sending alpha instead of v0.3.5)
    • Follow up with biz dev center
  • Blocked?
    • need the backlog groomed

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • Completed first bread board build of v0.4, need to test with a tone ring
    • Tried to reach the missing tester
  • Will do
    • Backlog grooming
    • Test bread board build with a tone ring
    • Follow up with Star
  • Blocked?
    • need the backlog groomed **

Holoseat: PY18 Sprint 1 Stand Up 5 (belated) (2 comments)

Added by J. Simmons about 1 year ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • Attended pre-counseling phone call with DC Small Business Dev Center
    • Punted on Oct 6' trip (need to discuss this topic more with Bryan)
    • Tested Flask
    • Tested serial comms with Tornado
    • Got SyndCon post reviewed and posted
    • Created first draft of REST API to wrap the Holoseat Serial Protocol
  • Will do
    • Review schematics updates for Bryan
    • Training on Bootstrap for visual layout of app
  • Blocked?
    • Work travel basically makes this week unusable for Holoseat work

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • initial solder work for breadboarding
    • Called tester we’ve not heard from
    • started breadboarding
  • Will do
    • Finish breadboarding
    • Update circuit diagram again
    • See about layout on the Feather Proto wing if it works
  • Blocked?
    • more travel

Holoseat: PY18 Sprint 1 Stand Up 4 (1 comment)

Added by J. Simmons about 1 year ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • Almost wrapped up meeting scheduling with 6'
    • Tested pystray
    • Completed mockup
    • Drafted SyndCon 2017 Blog Post
    • Looked at access to FB holoseat page - need personal account to register for business management access
  • Will do
    • Attend pre-counseling phone call with DC Small Business Dev Center
    • Wrap up meeting scheduling with 6' crosses fingers
    • Test Flask
    • Start testing serial data link with Tornado
    • Prep for 6' trip
    • Get SyndCon post reviewed by Dragons
  • Blocked?
    • Work travel next week
    • Waiting final confirmation from 6'
    • Got stood up by DC Small Business Dev Center

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • nothing this week
  • Will do
    • Continue to ping last tester that’s MIA
    • Redo circuit layout based on new breakouts and cables
    • Start building new version on protoboard
  • Blocked?
    • Have been sick and getting caught up at work
    • More travel coming up

Joint Work

  • Backlog grooming

Holoseat: PY18 Sprint 1 Stand Up 3 (1 comment)

Added by J. Simmons about 1 year ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • Published Part 1 of 2017 Recap/2018 Plan blog series
    • Registered with and scheduled pre-counseling phone call with DC Small Business Dev Center
    • Updated Holoseat transport box
    • Made significant progress scheduling meeting(s) with 6'
  • Will do
    • Attend pre-counseling phone call with DC Small Business Dev Center
    • Wrap up meeting scheduling with 6' crosses fingers
    • Complete mockup
    • Test pystray
    • Draft SyndCon 2017 Blog Post
    • Address access to FB holoseat page
  • Blocked
    • Things are starting to get back to normal, but we will have to see how it goes

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • Contacted additional Holoseat testers to get them signed up for resources
    • Worked with vendor over speed wheel, unfortunately they are likely not a option
    • Developed outline for blog post
  • Will do
    • Continue to ping last tester that’s MIA
    • Redo circuit layout based on new breakouts and cables
    • Build new version on protoboard
  • Blocked
    • continued personal travel/time off
    • getting caught up after personal travel/time off

Holoseat: PY18 Sprint 1 Stand Up 2

Added by J. Simmons about 1 year ago

Just a couple of quick notes about the next round of sprints:

  • We are moving our planning year to run September to August, identified by the year of the next SyndCon we will present at (e.g Planning Year 2018 or PY18)
  • PY18 planning is still under way, so we are running Sprint 1 a little more ad hoc than normal, so we don't have a full sprint plan to work against yet (we do have the beginnings of a backlog we are working off of)

J's Report

  • Did
    • nothing sighs
  • Will do
    • move my 1st blog post to wp
    • Schedule meeting with DC Small Business Dev Center
    • Update Holoseat transport box
    • Schedule meeting with 6'
  • Will try to get to
    • complete mockup
    • test pystray
    • draft 2nd blog post
    • address access to FB holoseat page
  • Blocks?
    • life and work (as demonstrated by lack of progress this week)

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • Continued to work with alpha testers to get them signed up on comms channels
    • got all of the parts ordered and they have all come in
    • ordered adhesive samples
    • moved social medial account management moved around per plan
    • set up company structure for FB page
    • contacted a speed wheel vendor
  • Will do
    • continue reaching out to alpha testers
    • continue discussions with speed wheel vendor
    • outline/draft several blog articles
  • Blocks?
    • personal travel/time off

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 3 Review and Retrospective

Added by J. Simmons over 1 year ago

Review

Claiming Done

All PBIs except other PBIs SYN-17 (shirts for raffle). Key completed tasks include:

  • Finalizing the sensor configuration, utilizing wheel speed sensor and tone ring
  • Prep updated demo units
  • Prep demos (games, computers, displays, etc)
  • Design and make swag to give away at the con
  • Create the presentations for the main meeting and our panel

Not Claiming Done

  • SYN-17: Make shirts for raffle prizes - we dropped this after deciding it was too low of a priority to bother doing this year

Retrospective

What went well?

  • Utilizing outside resources (volunteer and contracted) provided just the amount of additional capacity we needed
  • The speed wheel and wheel speed sensor design decision worked beyond our wildest dreams
  • Meeting in person for the last push before SyndCon was extremely helpful
  • Looks like the crates will be sufficient to get the bikes to and from SyndCon
  • The move to automatic trigger cadence in the firmware was inspired and is also a huge improvement for the product
  • Lots of good use of 3D printing for prototyping structural elements (at VT and at J's apartment)

What did not go well?

  • Bryan had some challenges designing and building the crates for the bike components
  • Reusing old components for new builds led to too many glitches that took too long to troubleshoot
  • Trying to directly solder all of the components on the tiny proto space on Feather was a pain and also led to longer troubleshooting

What can we do better?

  • No more soldering components directly onto controller boards, from now one use daughter boards (e.g. Feather Wings) for attaching components to controller boards
  • Do not reuse any presss fit components for new builds (e.g. Ethernet jacks)

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 3 Stand Up 8 (2 comments)

Added by J. Simmons over 1 year ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • SYN-25 and Sun-26: slides for SyndCon - done
    • Review Terms and Conditions - done
    • SYN-04: Controller box - done
    • SYN-28: Demo scripts - done
    • other PBIs - done except SYN-17 (shirts for raffle, OBE)
  • Will do
    • n/a
  • Blocked?
    • n/a
Bryan's Report
  • Did
    • SYN-10: Build Holoseat packing box - done
    • SYN-16: Have 4 branded t-shirts made for each of Bryan and J - done
    • terms and conditions for alpha test - done
    • other PBIs - done except SYN-17 (shirts for raffle, OBE)
  • Will do
    • n/a
  • Blocked?
    • n/a

Holoseat: 2017 Sprint 3 Stand Up 7 (1 comment)

Added by J. Simmons over 1 year ago

J's Report

  • Did
    • SYN-22: Design and print business cards for J and Bryan - business cards will be ready Fri
    • SYN-29: Prep Twitter and Facebook accounts for Holoseat - worked with Ingrid to develop interim banner image, we need to take pics at con to make a new one after
    • SYN-26: Prepare slides and script for the Holoseat panel emphasizing our pre-sales initiative - continued working on slides, including making a demo vid comparing responsiveness of v0.3 vs v0.4 and the last section of slides (the ask for support)
    • Review pre-sales contract from Bryan - did this myself and asked friend from work (have many notes)
    • Review controller box CAD files - did this and left comments for Bryan
    • SYN-24: Try to arrange for others to be able to demo the holoseat for us - made this part of the panel slides (this means we must generate a script)
  • Will do
    • SYN-26: Prepare slides and script for the Holoseat panel emphasizing our pre-sales initiative - will finish before con
    • SYN-25: Prepare slides and script for Main Guild Meeting section (keep it short as always) emphaszing our pre-sales initiative - will cut down panel slides to form main guild meeting slides
    • Review pre-sales contract from Bryan - will address comments with Bryan
    • SYN-04: Develop a controller "box" that mounts on Desk Cycle in the same place their bike computer mounts - 3D print controller box and make it work for con
    • SYN-28: Write a demo script for the live demos - will develop the demo script (probably with Bryan?)
    • Any other PBIs that are not done by the time Bryan arrives in DC (with Bryan)
  • Blocks
    • life things, but they should be minimal this week

Bryan's Report

  • Did
    • SYN-10: Build Holoseat packing box - first box all but done
    • Will produce updated controller for v0.3.5 and update to new firmware to test - then disassembled holoseat to demo packing box
    • SYN-16: Have 4 branded t-shirts made for each of Bryan and J - selected shirts and working on the design
  • Will do
    • SYN-10: Build Holoseat packing box - finish first box and build second box
    • SYN-16: Have 4 branded t-shirts made for each of Bryan and J - finish shirts
  • Blocks
    • SYN-04: Develop a controller "box" that mounts on Desk Cycle in the same place their bike computer mounts - needed more work done by volunteers to address concerns, but volunteers unavailable
    • most everything else due to work on SYN-10: Build Holoseat packing box

« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 Next »

Also available in: Atom