v1.1 - SEP Step 4 - Preliminary Design - Data Acquisition (DAQ)

Added by Jeremy Wright over 9 years ago

We've got a partner who needs a working Shepard test stand fairly quickly, and things have changed a lot with the discussions that we've had about version 2.0 of Shepard (like the change to a real load cell). I've been experimenting with a hybrid of the version 2.0 and 1.1 concepts for the preliminary design of 1.1, and the dev logs in the News tab hold the work Aaron and I have been doing. There's one discussion in particular that I wanted to give a chance for feedback on. It involves changing the back plate (that holds the thrust sensor) of the v1.0/v1.1 structure. The change will make it more difficult to switch back to the v1.0 DAQ for any demonstrations we might want to do.

Since we only have one copy of Shepard, I wanted to see what people thought of the change. If you scroll down toward the bottom of the following news feed, you'll see the discussion on mounting the new load cell and the changes it would require.

https://opendesignengine.net/news/34

If I don't hear anything to the contrary within a reasonable amount of time, I'll move forward based on the direction Aaron and I have set in the dev log.


Replies (2)

RE: v1.1 - SEP Step 4 - Preliminary Design - Data Acquisition (DAQ) - Added by J. Simmons over 9 years ago

My $0.02 worth:

  • At this point Shepard is back into a development mode, so development work takes precedence over demos
  • We don't have any public demos scheduled anyway, so there is little likelihood of this even becoming an issue
  • The proposed modifications sound good to me

TL;DR - I say you are safe to proceed with this plan.

Thanks for posting to the forums, I was behind on the dev logs.

RE: v1.1 - SEP Step 4 - Preliminary Design - Data Acquisition (DAQ) - Added by Jeremy Wright over 9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback J.

Another issue that's come up is whether or not we should eliminate the E size motors from the list of motors that can be fired on v1.0 and v1.1. This is because the max length of a USB cable will not allow us to reach the minimum safety radius of 30 feet that the NAR requires for E motors. We've adopted this as our safety radius for E's on Shepard, and I personally feel that it's important to stay in step with the NAR on this. Aaron and I have started to discuss this on the dev log here

(1-2/2)